Pages

Monday, July 6, 2015

I surrender


Here I am
Down on my knees again
Surrendering all


Find me here
Lord as You draw me near
Desperate for You


Those are the opening lines of one of my favorite songs.  I am glad we sing it at church often and I find myself humming the tune or trying to remember all the words when I am singing while working.

Most Christians are familiar with the act of "surrender" in our Christian walk.  It's actually a surrender of all we have claimed to be, all we claim we are and all our humanly plans and decisions.  In surrendering, we turn loose of self and let God know we are ready to do things his way and by his power.

The old Western movie I was watching before church this morning, painted the picture in a more accurate way than me.  The bad guys had robbed the bank, shot up the town, and escaped into the hills. A posse was formed by the Sheriff and soon all able-bodied men were headed out of town to catch the bad guys and recover the stolen money.

When the criminals were finally surrounded by lawmen, they realized there was no way to escape, and the only way they would see another sunrise, would be to surrender now.  They had messed up.  Catching them was easier than the crime they committed.  Surrender was the only way out.  In short, they turned from their poor planning, poorer execution of the plan, and surrendered their outlaw ways to the ways of right.

Back to the words of the song, I can identify in calling to mind the mistakes and blunders.  There may have been some where I figured I was big enough and strong enough to save myself, when in reality I only found the real solutions while on my knees, surrendering all to Jesus.

We can really make messes of things, and that's usually when you can find us in our desperation, seeking for God to draw us closer to him.  There are more verses to the song:

Drench my soul
As mercy and grace unfold
I hunger and thirst


With arms stretched wide
I know You hear my cry
Speak to me now



The answers to your problems and mine, your heartaches and mine, your life and mine.....is surrender.

<ronbwriting@gmail.com>

No comments:

Post a Comment