Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I have this problem...


I have this problem:

I want my life to be perfect..........but it's not.

I want to demonstrate nothing but good coming from my life...........but sometimes the bad shows up.

Paul is the one I turn to when I have these thoughts.  He says in Romans 7,  "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I  know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it."

Am I alone in these feelings?  If we are honest with ourselves, we will admit even as Christians, the power of sin is still very healthy inside us.  I'm glad Paul didn't stop writing when he penned the above verses.  Our dilemma finds some answers in his words as they continue, "So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

Knowing and actually believing these things relieves us from the battle of seeking perfection based on our own merits.  As much as I strive for my perfection, I will fail.  But there is more.

God would have us to know, in the middle of our attempts to be perfect and good, HE is the answer for which we search.  We find it easy to accept the fact of our failures, but so difficult to accept the sovereignty of God himself  as the help we really need.

Here is another verse which helps us see this truth, Psalm 103:19, "The Lord has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all. "   (Even my imperfections and mistakes and blunders.)

Our problems grow in intensity when we forget who God is and all he is doing through us and for us.  His love continues to abide, and his presence with us elevates us above all the bad stuff.

Still another verse we need to absorb.  From Psalm 62:6-8, " Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.  Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.  Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."

Problems with perfection and constant goodness?  Trust in him at all times!

ronbwriting@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment