Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A bit of acceptance


We were having the usual staff luncheon that week.  I think there were seven of us present and we had all ordered iced tea.  Soon, our waiter came from the kitchen carrying a tray with our tea glasses, and started passing them around.  He was standing behind me when the tray tipped to one side and the only remaining glass on the tray turned over, emptying the full glass down the collar of my shirt.  I shook all over and could only think of the Gatorade bath being administered by a team to their winning coach.

Without all the details, I will just say the tea and ice cubes drenched my back, and when it was all over, I was sitting in a chair that had caught a lot of the liquid.  I felt like I was sitting in a kiddy pool.  I do remember.......it was COLD!

Waiters seemed to come from all directions with towels.  The waiter for our table assured me I didn't have to pay for my lunch that day, and there were apologies from all the employees.  I told everyone it was okay, and I knew it was accidental, but one by one they kept coming by to make sure I was good.

We went ahead with lunch, even though I was not real comfortable in my wet clothes.  They all kept apologizing and I kept assuring them I was fine.  But that was not the end of this story.

A couple of weeks later, I returned to the same restaurant for lunch and was met quickly by the waiter who had attempted to baptize me.  His words caught me off guard as he said, "I am so glad to see you here.  I didn't think you would ever come back here for lunch."   His words prompted me to say again, "I know it was an accident and you are forgiven." 

When the drenching took place, I could have easily voiced displeasure toward the waiter, demanded to see the manager, or even stormed out of the restaurant in a rage.  It causes me to wonder how many times I have reacted negatively in such situations.  Could I have thrown my fit, rightly so, because I had been wronged?  

I know some of the verses which Jesus taught about forgiveness, and they carry some implications that we can actually measure our "forgiveness level."   Look at the verse that teaches, "If you do not forgive another his trespasses, then you will not be forgiven your trespasses."  Another implication from the forgiveness verses  is really to the point.  "Ask for forgiveness only in the measure you are willing to extend forgiveness."

The words of the waiter taught me something, too.  When he said he didn't think I would ever return to that restaurant, it let me know, more than forgiveness, a bit of acceptance can extend forgiveness more than words. 

I still run into people who were in the restaurant that day.  Most of them have stated I handled the situation better than they would.   I just smile and remind everyone that all of us are subject to making mistakes.  And everyone needs to understand how God longs to forgive our mistakes, and that's how we should be forgiving to those who wrong us.

ronbwriting@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment